FKOC Info Pages
FKOC logo

For General Information purposes only, visit for complete information.

(1) How to get a replacement Social Security Card.
(2) How to Obtain Form SS-5 (Application for a Social Security Card).
(3) Proper Identification.
(4) When will you receive your card?
(5) Where to find complete information on obtaining a Social Security Card.

(1) How to get a replacement Social Security Card
If your card was lost or stolen or if you have changed your name you may get a duplicate card at no cost. To use this FREE service you'll need to:

  • Complete Form SS-5 (Application for a Social Security Card). See below for how to obtain this form
  • Show evidence of your identity.
  • Show evidence of your U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were born outside the U.S.

(2) How to Obtain Form SS-5 (Application for a Social Security Card):

  • Key West Office
    Social Security Administration
    Room 110 Federal Building
    301 Simonton St.
    Key West, FL 33040
    TTY: 800-325-0778
    Mon - Fri: 9:00 am - 4:00 pm

(3) Proper Identification:
All documents presented as evidence must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. Please provide original documents when applying for your card. All original documents will be returned.

Identity: We must see a document in the name you want shown on the card. The identity document must be of recent issuance so that we can determine your continued existence. We prefer to see a document with a photograph. However, we can generally accept a non-photo identity document if it has enough information to identify you (e.g., your name as well as your age, date of birth, or parents' names). We cannot accept a birth certificate or hospital birth record as evidence of identity.

Some documents that we can accept as proof of identity are:

  • Driver's license
  • Marriage or divorce record
  • Military records
  • Adoption record
  • Life insurance policy
  • Passport
  • Health Insurance card (not a Medicare card)
  • School ID card

U.S. Citizenship: We can accept most documents that show you were born in the U.S. If you are a U.S. citizen born outside the U.S., show us a U.S. consular report of birth, a U.S. passport, a Certificate of Citizenship, or a Certificate of Naturalization.

Alien Status: We need to see an unexpired document issued to you by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), such as Form I-551, I-94, I-688B, or I-766. We CANNOT accept a receipt showing you applied for the document. If you are not authorized to work in the U.S., we can issue you a Social Security card if you are lawfully here and need the number for a valid nonwork reason. Your card will be marked to show you cannot work. If you do work, we will notify DHS.

(4) When will you receive your card?
 You should receive your card within two weeks of the date we have all the information we need to process your request. (You will be advised if there will be a delay, for example, if your U.S. birth certificate or for a non-citizen, your DHS document must be verified.) If you have not received your card within the specified time frame, contact the Social Security office where you filed the application and they will investigate to see why it is being delayed.

For more information call 800-772-0213 or visit the Social Security Administration website:  

Social Security online link


The information provided using this web site is only intended to be general summary information to the public. It is not intended to take the place of either the written law or regulations. Please refer to appropriate agencies or organizations for more complete information.

The FKOC, a non-profit 501(c) (3) organization, supports its programs through local, state and federal grants, foundations, and corporate and private donations.

FKOC Sunhouse


Copyright © 2007 Florida Keys Outreach Coalition, Inc. All rights reserved.
P.O. Box 4767
Key West, FL 33041